Sunday, November 13, 2011

recovering back home

I've been back home a little over a day now and despite being a little woozy from pain meds I'm feeling pretty good so I thought it would be the perfect time for a quick update. Sorry in advance if it's a little disjointed.

Thank you Amy for the wonderful update yesterday as I was a bit too out of it to write a very coherent entry. It is so good to be home and I have been enjoying lots of love, amazing food and a ton of sleep. Despite having to sleep sitting up I slept pretty well last night and it was really great to back in my own bed. I did wake up several times to hear my dog scratching on my door pathetically but apart from that I slept pretty hard. I woke up this morning in a bit more pain, but it was mostly my shoulder muscles and after a gentle massage from my mom and several more pain meds I feel a ton better. After breakfast I went back to bed and slept all morning. I've just woken up again to a wonderful lunch of bagels (and yummy leftovers, thanks Brad!) and a cute scene of my brother in law Mike asleep on the couch with the cat on his chest. Very cute!

I've been getting more and more mobility with my shoulder and I've been doing some stretches the doctors gave me which have helped a lot too. The most painful part is my shoulder muscles, but I'm beginning to even be able to move my neck which is a big help. The grossest part is my drain, but even that is looking less disgusting. The weirdest part is that my neck from my collar bone to halfway up my ear is completely numb on the left side still. I keep getting an itch on my ear, but since I can't feel myself scratching it, it just keeps itching. It's very weird! I've also had a bad reaction to the adhesives they used on me so I have lots of red itchy welts from where ever they stuck anything too me which is a bit uncomfortable. But I get to take my big bandage off today which will feel really good! It also means I finally get to see my scar which is kind of exciting! But I have to admit I'm most excited about the fact that I get to shower this afternoon! It's going to feel so good!

Other than that everything is pretty good. My appetite has been surprisingly big and I have had no lack of delicious food! My amazing sister Amy has been spoiling me with copious amounts of delicious options! She even cooked a full chicken meal last night complete with mashed potatoes, stuffing and gravy! Delicious! And I've got endless supplies of entertainment thanks to ridiculous American TV, My parents new blue ray player and the millions of shows and movies I have on my hard drive (Thanks Mark!) And the fact I can't keep my eyes open for more than an hour at a time help insure I don't get bored by anything too quickly! I also just had a quick but fantastic visit from my aunt cindy and my little cousins! I'm sure it's not easy for them to see someone with a big gross bandage on, but I got some good hugs and beautiful paintings! I am so lucky to have such wonderful people looking after me!! I feel extremely spoiled!

Ok I am starting to feel my pain meds kick in and I think I'm rambling now, I think its nap time again so I can rest up for my shower! I really can't thank you all enough for all the support and love! It makes all the difference!

3 comments:

  1. You'll have to post a pic of your scar when you can... :-D
    Have a great shower, there is really nothing like it when you haven't been able to for a few days.
    Glad things are going so well at this stage. We miss you! Heal quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss you Katy! You are so amazingly brave and resilient, and your attitude is inspiring. I bet it's annoying that recently every time you've come back home it's been for operations and more ick. I hope you are recovering well and it's comforting to know that you are eating delicious Amy meals, squeezing doggies and kitties, and sleeping tons. Love you! Val

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katy!!! It was so great to see you yesterdsy! Thanks for being so UP for the little girls....of course they have been thinkikng a lot about you and were so happy to see you looking so good...and of course so interested in it all...."thanks for sharing" the good bad and the wierd...(nothing was ugly)!

    What a scar!....I know it will disapear with time ...but at the moment it is pretty tempting to call you hook....remember the hook is the Maori (New Zealand natives) symbol for catching good luck...and a life partner if you are looking...so there you GO!....
    much love...hope you can continue with the healing curve (or hook) you are on!!!!
    AC (Aunt Cindy)

    ReplyDelete